After you have completed your ACA exams and qualified as a member of the ICAEW you will no doubt have a number of people telling you what you should do next. There will be a raft of roles suggested and one of them should be to pursue a career in Corporate Finance, which could mean working in public practice or in-house for a commercial organisation.
Corporate Finance is a dynamic and fast paced discipline which a lot of people going through their initial training will not know too much about but if you get into the right position you will undoubtedly benefit from enriched skills development as well as reaping significant long term financial rewards.
Corporate Finance work allows you to get involved various types and level of work including the following:
- Business acquisitions
- Business finance raising
- Drafting proposal and tender documents
- Succession planning and business disposals
- Strategic planning, business plans and financial forecast
- Tax efficient corporate restructuring and incentives (share schemes)
- Company and business valuations
- Financial and commercial due diligence and business reviews
You will deal closely with an array of professionals including; finance providers and solicitors as well as working closely with entrepreneurs and business owners generally which will require great co-ordination and good communication skills.
The types of qualities that you need to be successful in the world of Corporate Finance include the following:
- Strong analytical skills
- Commercial awareness
- Ability to communicate well with clients in conversation and in writing
- Being a strong team player and can demonstrate excellent team-working skills
- Ability to work to deadlines and roll up your sleeves when you really need to
If you are qualified and interested in being considered for a career in Corporate Finance please contact us at Wavelength to discuss further.
As an example; we are currently dealing with a position with an Independent firm which can offer an excellent first step into the Corporate Finance field where you would work closely in a small team and have the opportunity to learn in post and offers progression in the medium to long term.