live the dream image

Tax Career- Once you have qualified, what next?

Tax Career Opportunities For Qualified ACA / ACCA professionals – what do you do next?

OK you have completed your ACA or ACCA but what Career Opportunities in Public Practice are there after all that training; what do you do now? There are a number of options available in terms of the career path you can now take but you may also find that the options available will depend on your experience gained through training.

Typical career paths include:
  • Audit and Assurance
  • General Practice
  • Corporate Finance
  • Business Advisory
  • Taxation
  • Insolvency / Business Recovery
  • Forensics

In this edition we will focus on pursuing a tax career.

A Tax career usually encompasses the following areas:

•      Corporate
•      Personal
•      Indirect Tax (e.g VAT and Excise Duties)
•      Employment tax
•      Capital Gains Tax, Inheritance, trusts and estates.
•      Overseas
•      Forensics
 (Providing expert opinion and services to attorneys, businesses and government agencies)

This wide reach of taxation means that usually you will choose to specialise in one or two of the above areas rather than attempt to be an expert in all disciplines. This will also primarily depend on who you are employed by; a larger firm will usually have specialist departments dedicated to one area, whereas the smaller independent firm will usually have a generalist able to assist with corporate and personal tax as well as VAT, however more technical issues involving trusts, estates, international taxes and investigations etc will be dealt with by a consultant or by a larger firm.
The Chartered Institute of Taxation (CIOT)
The CIOT is the senior professional body in the UK concerned solely with all aspects of taxation. It maintains standards, organises training conferences, lobbies for the improvement and simplification of tax law, and makes recommendations to the Government.
Routes to a career in Tax will usually either be as a tax trainee completing the ATT then CIOT exams, or following completion of a professional qualification in Accountancy or Law, the CIOT exams can then be taken.
Follow this link to the CIOT Website which will give you loads of background information and in particular explain the eligibility requirements to register for the exams and you can also see details on the syllabus –
So What do you do next? 
If you have trained in Practice and have had some exposure to taxation and interested in exploring the possibility of pursuing a tax career and want some advice please contact us at Wavelength through our website at

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *